Thursday, January 09, 2020

About this Blog

With the start of a new year, I have decided to create this new blog, "Perspectives in Music Pedagogy."

My approach in this blog will be providing pairs of entries that offer different perspectives on a music or trumpet-related topic. My hope is to not just share my opinion, but show how different approaches can actually be complementary, rather than contradictory.

This semester at the University of Kentucky I'm teaching the class "Trumpet Pedagogy/Literature" and it's quite likely that some of that course content will spill over into this blog, and vice versa. I (and my students) welcome your comments and feedback. If you find these useful, feel free to share!

A teaser of future topics on which I plan to write:
How to Not Practice
How to Practice
The Case for New Music
The Case for Early Music
Product over Process
Process over Product
Why Where You Go to School Matters
Why it Doesn't Matter Where You Go to School
Why You Must Learn How to Breathe
Why You Already Know How to Breathe
The Case for Buzzing the Mouthpiece
The Case Against Buzzing the Mouthpiece

No comments: